By Gautam Clinic Pvt Ltd , Sexology
Vaginal dryness occurs during menopause due to the decreased production of estrogen in the female body. This also leads to irregular periods, mood swings and hot flashes (sudden feverish heat). Vaginal dryness is characterized by lack of moisture in the vagina and this can have a negative effect on your sex life.
The vaginal wall is usually lubricated by fluids that are maintained by the ‘estrogen’ hormone. Estrogen also helps in keeping the vaginal lining healthy and thick. With menopause, the estrogen levels in the body take a beating which results in dipping moisture levels in the vagina. This also results in loss of elasticity of the vagina.
Apart from menopause, estrogen levels can also dip due to the following reasons:
- If you are undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer.
- Breastfeeding and childbirth can prove to be a reason.
- If your ovaries have been removed surgically.
- Usage of anti-estrogen medications for treatment of endometriosis (growth of uterus lining tissues out of the uterus).
The treatment for this disorder involves improving your estrogen levels by undergoing topical estrogen therapy.
The treatment involves the following methods:
- Vaginal Estrogen Tablet: This method involves using an applicator to put a tablet in the vagina to treat symptoms of itching and sores in and around the vagina.
- Vaginal Estrogen Cream: In this, cream is inserted in the vagina by means of an applicator.
- Vaginal Estrogen Ring: In this procedure, the doctor inserts a ring in the vagina that supplies estrogen to the tissues in the vagina.
To prevent this condition, you should avoid the usage of lotions and harsh chemical based soaps on and around your vagina.