By Dr. Rahul Gupta, Sexology,
What do we mean by testosterone supplements?
Testosterone is the main sex hormone in the males. Both men and women produce testosterone, but it is predominantly secreted in the men. In few disease conditions, testosterone production is hampered, such as Klinefelter syndrome, undescended testicles, mumps orchitis, hemochromatosis, injury to the testicles which leads to infertility or sterility in males. In such cases, testosterone supplements are prescribed.
What are the disadvantages of taking testosterone supplements?
Taking testosterone supplements for a long period of time causes following side effects:
- Kidney failure: Testosterone hormone causes an increase in levels of red blood cells and erythropoietin hormone which leads to kidney failure.
- Sleep apnea: Testosterone causes loud snoring and apnea during sleep.
- Increase risk of injury: Although the supplements increase the muscle mass, they do not strengthen the ligaments and tendons to support the muscles.
- Acne: Testosterone causes overstimulation of the sebaceous gland activities.
- Polycythemia: Testosterone supplements taken for a long period of time cause elevation of red blood cell levels that result in heart disease. This is because increased production of red blood cells causes blood to thicken and become more susceptible to form blood clots.
- Prostate cancer: Prostate cancer has been found to be associated with testosterone use, but exact cause is still not known.
Behavioral changes: Depression, aggressive behavior, cognitive disorders, and dementia are the most common behavioral disorders which occur due to testosterone supplements.
Why is Ayurveda safer than testosterone supplements?
Ayurveda is the holistic mode of treatment where patient’s disease is cured by with herbal preparations. These medications are prescribed on the basis of both physical complaints and behavior of the patients. Ayurveda also includes lifestyle and dietary changes which help in achieving complete cure.
Ayurveda is based on the principles that your mind, body, and spirit are in harmony with the universe, and this harmony maintains the state of health. When something disrupts this balance, the person falls ill. Ayurvedic medications act at that level and restore the disrupted harmony of the body.
The herbs which are used in Ayurveda have multiorgan benefits. They not only help increase the testosterone level but also help treat other associated diseases. Ayurvedic treatment also helps in bringing down mental stress. Herbs which are commonly used to increase the testosterone level are as follows:
- Holy basil
- Tribulus Terrestris
The preparations which are mentioned above are more effective than testosterone supplements. They correct the condition from the root level, and they are not associated with various side effects as seen with testosterone supplements. Hence, Ayurveda is more beneficial than simple testosterone supplements.