By Dr. C.S. Sidana, General Physician
Sneezing continually can be a serious problem. Perpetual sneezing might not surface as a grave problem in itself, but it might refer to a serious underlying condition.
Allergies, animal dander, smoke, mold, dust, wood dust, pollen and other such irritants are the most common causes of sneezing. Cold weather, changes in humidity and temperature, rain water, strong smells, food allergies, certain drugs and other such factors also can cause sneezing.
Sneezing is often accompanied by issues like lack of concentration, fatigue, runny nose, nasal irritation, and red eyes. Sneezing is not usually a serious problem but if it occurs persistently, it can be frustrating.
If the symptom persists, it is absolutely necessary for you to get a check- up done from an experienced medical professional. However, there are many simple and easy home remedies for relief from sneezing.
Tips that you can follow at home to get rid of sneezing –
- Ginger can come to your rescue – This ordinary ingredient from the modest quarters of your kitchen can actually help you deal with constant sneezing. Ginger extract can be brewed along with tea liquor and consumed in sips to counter sneezing and other subsequent health issues. You may even consume raw ginger extract. Sneezing resulting from common cold can be tackled in this fashion.
- Try inhaling steam to remedy nasal congestion – Sneezing could also be an accompanied feature of acute nasal or throat congestion. Inhaling steam can go a long way in such a case. Steam helps you find temporary relief from continuous nasal expulsions. To augment the effect of steam, you must take it in concentrated amounts and hence, you must use a towel while inhaling.
- Cloves of garlic can also be used for their efficacy – Garlic can counter continual sneezing because of its anti-bacterial properties. It also acts against viruses, therefore making allergies, already contracted by the body, ineffective.
- Fenugreek can also serve as a great solution – Consuming a brewed tonic of fenugreek can work wonders when it comes to sneezing. You may add a couple of teaspoons of fenugreek to water and boil it for two to three minutes. Sipping this hot drink will free your congested nose; you stop sneezing. The person concerned is also relieved from suffocation as the drink acts on the aggravated mucous membranes.http://blog.lybrate.com/2017/01/20/home-remedies-for-sneezing/
- Make an effort to fulfill your vitamin C requirements – Sneezing can also be the resultant effect of different kinds of allergies. Allergens trigger histamines (compounds which act as neurotransmitters and help moderate functions of the gut) that further make you sneeze. Fruits and supplements rich in vitamin C contain natural antihistamines that prevent you from the dreaded effects of an allergy. A person who keeps on sneezing due to one allergy or the other should make it a point to consume lemons or oranges regularly.
Along with all these home remedies, it’s a good idea to take some measures to prevent exposure to environmental irritants, such as dust and allergens in your home that can aggravate a sneezing problem.