Joint & Arthritis Pain Relief Products – How to Choose the Best Option for You
Some consequences of aging – those grey hairs and crow’s feet, for instance – merely change the way we look. As we age on the outside, our joints and ligaments also get older, which often leads to joint pain. And unlike changes to our skin and hair that only affect what we see in the mirror, joint pain can interfere with almost every aspect of daily living.
Simple tasks like weeding the garden, opening a can of soup, or climbing the stairs become challenges.
Fortunately, there are effective supplements that can deliver joint pain relief without the side effects associated with prescription treatments and over-the-counter painkillers.
What Causes Joint Pain?
After an intense workout or an injury, it’s perfectly natural to experience some short-term pain in the joints.
Joint Pain Relief
For those who suffer from chronic joint pain, however, this discomfort is persistent, almost constant in some cases. It can range from mild to severe.
The most common cause of chronic joint pain is osteoarthritis, a condition associated with the wearing away of bone-cushioning cartilage (source). This loss of cartilage causes the bones to rub together, which results in not only joint pain, but also swelling, loss of motion, and changes in the shape of the joint over time.
Other causes of joint pain include injuries, infection, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
What Should You Look For In A Quality Joint Support Product?
Anyone who is considering joint supplements should make it a priority to choose a product containing ingredients that have been proven effective through scientific study.
The two most important substances to look for in a joint supplement are:
- Glucosamine: Found naturally in the body, glucosamine plays a role in cartilage maintenance and repair. Furthermore, it is believed to be capable of stimulating the production of new joint cartilage.
According to Dr. Trisha Macnair, a physician, and BBC Health expert, “Some studies even suggest the supplement may be as good as the standard treatment used in mild to moderate arthritis, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen.” She goes on to state that “glucosamine may have some effect in slowing the progression of arthritis (known as a chondroprotective effect) by helping to keep joint cartilage healthy.”
- Chondroitin Sulfate: Also naturally occurring, this substance helps keep joint cartilage flexible, and plays a role in guarding it against deterioration. For optimal results, a combination supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate is typically recommended.
Other Key Ingredients Important For Joint Pain Relief
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): This organic form of sulfur is found in small quantities in some foods, but not in high enough levels to have significant beneficial effects. MSM supplements are believed to reduce joint inflammation and relieve joint pain (source).
- Hyaluronic Acid: This substance is found naturally in cartilage and in the synovial fluid around the joints. When taken as a supplement, hyaluronic acid is believed to be capable of lubricating the joints, improving joint flexibility, and enhancing overall joint health.
- Boswellia Serrata Extract: This plant-derived substance is associated with reduced joint inflammation and improved joint mobility (source).
- Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids: Obtained primarily from marine sources, omega-3 essential fatty acids appear to have a number of beneficial effects on joint health and function when taken as a supplement. According to the Arthritis Today Magazine, these include better joint lubrication, reduced joint tenderness, and decreased stiffness.
What Can I Expect From A Joint Supplement?
Everyone responds differently to joint supplements, and results will depend on the formulation of the supplement, the severity of the joint pain, the cause of the pain, and the existing level of joint damage.
Supplements containing the ingredients mentioned above are associated with the following benefits:
- Overall improvements in joint mobility and function
- Prevention of additional joint damage
- Reduced joint inflammation
- Stronger joints
- Reductions in joint pain
- Rebuilding of joint cartilage
- Reduced joint friction
What Else Can I Do To Get Relief From Joint Pain?
Right now at least, there is ‘no permanent cure’ for joint pain, but changing your lifestyle in addition to taking a good joint supplement can yield positive results. Maintaining healthy body weight, incorporating low-impact activities like swimming or biking into your day, quitting smoking, and wearing shoes with protective padding can provide relief from joint pain and lead to improvements in overall health.
Joint supplements are a popular alternative for those suffering from joint pain. There are many different products to choose from. It is important to choose a product that contains essential ingredients that help decrease joint pain, promote joint, cartilage and tissue regeneration, ability to prevent recurring damage, promote joint mobility and flexibility, and quality of ingredients used in each product.